Okay, I'm sick of being mistaken as my 16 year old sister or someone who is 16. You may think I'm overreacting but let me just explain the extent and ridiculousness of this problem.
The first time I remember it happening was about two years ago when I was touring colleges. I was there with my mom and my sister and our tour guide lady wanted to give me a pamphlet with information about the college on it. She held the pamphlet out and just looked back and forth between me and my sister trying to figure out which one was the one looking at the college. Then my mom told her it was me and we all sort of laughed it off but I was irritated.
It happens with much more frequency now. I know I've probably forgotten a lot of the instances but here are a few just since I've been back from college which is a little over a month. Okay, so one day I take my 13 year old sister to the local dance studio where all three of us have taken dance, because it was picture day. Everyone's moms were there and it was all crowded and full of little people in tutus. So this one lady recognizes me and says, "Oh, why aren't you dancing this year?" I was like, "Because I've been away at school." Then the realization came to her face: I wasn't my sister. Ugh. So then, I go into the room where the pictures are being taken and I sit down and wait for my sister to finish. Then, the photographer WHO TOOK MY SENIOR PICTURES AND HAS SEEN MY FACE 1000 TIMES comes up to me and says "Hi Melissa." I said, annoyed, "It's Alanna." Her face changed instantly and she said, "Oh! Your back! How was it?" Ugh again. So that was one day.
Another instance: On Thursday night I was at this think where my grandpa was getting an award and they had a buffet line. So me and my sister were waiting in line and this woman was about to get in line between us and said to me, "You go ahead. I'll let you be with your friend." She obviously thought we were the same age. I'm THREE years older than her!
Yesterday Melissa needed my laptop for a project at school but wanted me to pick it up during tutorial so she didn't have to carry it around all day. So I did and I was walking out back to my car when one of the security guys in a golf cart (It was Mono you people from Brawley) drives up behind me and asks where I'm going. I thought he was gonna offer to give me a ride to my car because he does offer rides sometimes. I said, "To my car." And he was like, "Don't you have class." I said no and then he realized I wasn't a student. He said, "Oh I thought you were a student. You look young. I said, "I just finished my first year at college." And he goes, "Oh, I though you were 16 or 17." I said, "I'm almost 19," and walked back to my car.
Today, I park in front of my house after coming back from work. I look at the intersection next to my house and there's this car just sitting there and there's no one else at the intersection. I was like, "what are they doing?" It felt like they were watching me. Then I got out of my car and as soon as I opened my door they drove up. It was the mother of one of my sister's classmates with the classmate in the passenger's seat. She said, "Oh hi. I thought you were Melissa. Tom (her kid) wanted to make sure Melissa didn't have her license before him. It's Alanna, right? Sorry, I didn't want you to think we were stalking you or anything." Then she asked me about college and how it was going and stuff.
Another thing: This Sunday School teacher at church keeps asking Melissa to sub for her when Melissa's not supposed to sub because she's not old enough. I mean, she could if they really needed her but your supposed to ask people that are 18 or older. So my mom says that she thinks this woman who is asking Melissa to sub thinks I'm Melissa. I was like, "For once it's working in my favor." But then my mom makes me teach the lesson. (Luckily I ended up not having to but that's not the point).
Okay so the last thing I can think of and probably the most ridiculous of them all was when I went to this Stake church activity. And here's some back story so you can understand: about a week before my YOUNGER sister who is 13 went to an activity where they learned how to sew pillowcases. Okay, so I'm at this activity and this woman who isn't in my ward comes up to me and asks, "How's your pillowcase." WHAT. SHE THINKS I'M MY 13 YEAR OLD SISTER. Is said, "I didn't make a pillowcase. That's my sister." She apologized but I was still really pissed off.
So, I hope you can understand why I am so irritated by all of this. Oh and btw, me and Melissa don't look very much alike. Me and Janna do but me and Melissa don't. She's taller than me (which could be part of the problem plus the fact that her boobs are bigger :( ), has blonder hair, wheres a butt load more makeup than me, has a larger build and doesn't wear glasses. And our facial features aren't even very similar! Plus we are polar opposites in personality. We have completely different interests and talents and really don't get along that well. WE ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PEOPLE and I like it that way. I am an individual. I EXIST! I am unique and I like it that way. I am not my sister and I am NOT 16 years old world. Ugh.
Okay so that's my rant. Until next time...
-Alanna, NOT my sister or anyone else for that matter.
bright side: you'll look smokin' when you're forty! :]
ReplyDeletePS: i think you're cute.
Pssh. That's what EVERYONE says. I don't care about that right now.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Thanks and you too. :)