1) The greatest movie about the Salton Sea ever made (and perhaps the only one ever made). Many of you already know about this from facebook but, I made a great discovery the other day. So here's how my discover happened: First of all, I was studying for my Archaeology final and I got to this powerpoint slide that said that the Mesoamerican city of Tikal was featured in the fourth Star Wars (our teacher was trying to relate to us). I was like, "cool" and looked it up on filming locations on imdb. Sure enough, it was there. Then, I was like, "I wonder if anything has ever been shot around home?" and I found the best thing ever. It was a 1957 thriller/monster movie about a monster that comes out of the Salton Sea and terrorizes the people of the Imperial Valley. It's called "The Monster that Challenged the World." The plot blurb on imdb is SO entertaining! The movie is so corny and hilarious in general. This may be the best discovery ever made. Everyone who's ever lived in the Imperial Valley should see it. Here's the link:
http://www.fancast.com/movies/The-Monster-That-Challenged-the-World/140452/872994935/The-Monster-That-Challenged-The-World/videos
By the way, the movie has moved up in popularity on imdb like 300% this week and I think it's because of me. :) WATCH IT!
2) So, I was making one of those "top 5" things on facebook and I made one that was "Best music videos" and I decided that five just weren't enough so I'm gonna post some links here (in no particular order, just the order I thought of them in). Please watch them if you have the time. They're great. And there are some honorable mentions at the bottom without links if you wanna check those out.
-Virtual Insanity by Jamiroquai. It's just awesome to watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJmX1z1NY2c
-Ironic by Alanis Morissette. It's a simple concept; just her singing in a car but SO great. I mean she harmonizes with the other Alanis' in the car! But beware. I think the Alanis in green has Turet's. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9yUVgrmPY&videos=Ft9ajbMa8Ac&playnext_from=TL&playnext=1
-Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim. Chris Walken dancing insanely and flying in a huge empty hotel. What else could you ask for? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs
-Hurt covered by Johnny Cash. I learned about this video in a theater class while learning about mosaic structure. We watched it and I actually cried in class. It's sad but beautiful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go
-Here it Goes Again by OK GO. Choreography on treadmills. Need I say more? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv5zWaTEVkI
-Hemorrhage (in my hands) by Fuel. Hauntingly disturbing but powerful at the same time. When he says "Oh hold me now. I feel contagious," I almost get the chills. I'm not 100% sure what the video is about but I always got the impression that it was a woman having a miscarriage but I guess it's up to interpretation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1BQIALVxZ0
-If You're Gone by Matchbox 20. Beautiful song, and the video is great in it's simplicity. And Rob looks great as always and the expressions on his face make you really feel what he's singing about. It's great. LOVE MATCHBOX 20! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG81f3wGuwE
-Call Me When You're Sober by Evenescence. I love the colors, lighting and the whole atmospher. Plus the song's pretty kickbutt. My favorite part is when they fly and when the plates fly off the table. Plus, it was shot in the beautiful Pantages theater in L.A. which is awesome in itself if you've ever been there. (Props to Dylan for noticing that.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEoP43Pv57k
-February Song by Josh Groban. Love the song. He's a cutie. It's a simple video but the sepia tones and the sparklies are great. http://video.aol.com/video-detail/february-song-josh-groban/79627729
-A Sorta Fairytale by Tori Amos. Really weird at first, but when is Tori not weird? You get it at the end though, how they complete each other. It's genius. Plus, if you like Adrian Brody, he's in it! http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?artist=967&vid=145560
Honorable mentions: Move Along by All American Rejects, The Rain by Missy Elliot (don't really like the kind of music but the video's CRAZY), Boston by Augustana (a bunch of pianos on a beach=simple but beautiful), Learn to Fly by the Foo Fighters (just plain funny), Mr. Brightside by The Killers (very Moulin Rouge movie-like)
thanks for the shoutout, haha!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! My first proof that people actually read my blog. lol. I feel so special.
ReplyDelete