I think my computer has a virus. I first started noticing things last night. First, with the internet, the little annoying spinning rainbow thing would come on when I hadn't even clicked on anything. Then, my mouse would just freeze up for a while, frustrating the CRAP out of me because I'm like the most impatient person on the planet. So then I gave up and went to bed but my computer wouldn't turn off! So then I had to force quit it, which is really bad for it but I had to. Then, I turn it on this afternoon and everything seems pretty fine. Then, after about an hour or so the rainbow spinning thing comes back and my mouse starts freezing up again. So I figure maybe it's just Safari. So I quit Safari and use Firefox instead. I'm still having problems. Then, I wonder if it's just my track pad that's messed up so during one of the times when it's frozen, I try to scroll with the arrow buttons. Frozen. Crap. It's not
the track pad and it's not Safari. So, I go to my iStat thing to check how everything is running. Everything looks normal until I get to the CPU usage. Usually, it looks like this, with a black square and little spikes here and there, which is good. So I look at mine and see this ------------------------------>The one on the right is from this afternoon. The one on the left is from right now. You see that? THERE IS NO BLACK. There are no spikes. It's just solid usage! Now, I have no idea what CPU even stands for or what it is or what it does but I knew that something wasn't right. So, I looked it up on the internet and most people said that it meant there was probably a virus. GREAT. So I figure my computer must have some sort of virus scanning software so I search for it. I find this program called "Disk Warrior" and decide to run it. It was going along fine checking for stuff to repair and then it said it had an error and had to quit when it was almost done. FAIL. I tried texting my dad but I think he's already asleep. It's not that bad. I mean, my mouse just freezes up here and there but it may get worse. My poor baby! So that's THAT problem.
Moving on...I am now going to tell a saga about a bird. Now, you must understand that where I'm from, there are mostly blackbirds, pigeons, some grey and white birds that I think might be mocking birds, and a rare quail once in a while. And then there are those turkey vultures that come once a year and poop all over our front walk. So, my experience with birds is not much. They are boring and common and come in shades of grey, black, and brown. The first NOT boring bird I think I ever saw up here in the wild was one day last year when I was behind the arts building and I saw these little birds in a tree with cute mohawks, yellow bellies, and yellow tips on their tails. It was SO awesome because I'd never seen a bird with color like that in the wild. (Ducks don't count.) I took some pics and looked it up. It's called a Cedar Waxwing, if you're wondering and want to look up a picture. Since then, I have caught glimpses of a couple blue jays (or some other blue bird), and red robins. BUT NOW I HAVE FOUND ONE THAT TOPS THEM ALL. (Dramatic LOTR-type music plays.) Our story starts one day a couple of weeks ago when I was cutting across the neighbor's driveway like I do most days to get to school. Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye to my left, I saw a bright yellow flash of movement with some black and it went up into this really big tree. I quickly turned to see this magnificent bird but there was nothing there. I saw a little yellow flag marking a sprinkler head in their lawn and wondered for a moment if it had just been that that I had seen and I was just tired and retarded cuz it was before noon and my brain doesn't quite work then. But then I was like, no I definitely just saw an AWESOME bird. So fast forward a week and a few days. I was walking to class past the library and lo and behold! Another yellow flash but this time to my right and I definitely saw that it was a bird this time. It too, disappeared into the tree tops. Now I knew that this sneaky bird existed but I didn't see enough of it to look it up or anything. All I had seen were two yellow and black flashes out of the corner of my eye that disappeared into the trees. But then! Yes! Fate gave me a closer look! Today, I was walking home (a way I don't usually walk, mind you) and I passed the testing center. Then, again out of the corner of my eye to my right I saw a bright yellow flash go from the lawn and into a small tree about as tall as I am. I looked over at it and realized it was THE BIRD. I quickly got out my phone and went to camera mode. I inched closer and saw that not only did the bird have a bright yellow tummy with yellow stripes throughout it's dark grey wings, but it had a BRIGHT RED HEAD! SO AWESOME. Then, I got too close and it flew away. I tried to find it behind these bushes where it had flown but I couldn't. BUT, I had enough information to find out what it was. Then, after my nap of course, I embarked on a quest to find out what this magnificent creature was. I probably seriously researched for over an hour doing searches such as "native Utah birds," "Utah valley birds," "yellow Utah bird," yellow bird red head Utah." I even went through an entire list of native birds and none of the pictures matched. There were quite a few yellow birds but none with the red head. Then, I gave up restraining it to Utah and just typed in to google images, "yellow bird red head." Then, I found him! Here he is in all his glory:

Pretty cool, huh? (You're probably like, "that's it?" but I don't care. It's MY blog and it's 3 AM and I'm in a mood for writing epic bird sagas.) He's called a Western Tanager. Apparently they mostly stay in high tree tops so they are pretty hard to spot. My new goal is to photograph it. :) So that's my epic saga of the Western Tanager and it's impressive attempts to outstrip me. But I will prevail!
That was lame.
P.S. My dad says to take in my computer to the repair place. He says, "macs don't get viruses." UGH. I was JUST in there and had to get my motherboard replaced. I hate being without my computer and I hate lugging it up to campus cuz it's heavy and my shoulders are wimpy and boney and start hurting when I have something heavy on them for more than like 5 minutes.
What state was the bird from? I wonder how far it travelled? (I'm assuming it's not a Utah bird if the search didn't work with the word "Utah" in it)
ReplyDeletePS: Swirly Rainbow = DOOM!
Idk. I read that they migrate and can be found all over the west from Mexico all the way up to Canada or something. It said that some of them even migrate to Southern California.
ReplyDeleteIt IS a Utah bird! We get them all the time up at my parents' house in Highland! They are delightful.
ReplyDeleteDon't mind me commenting on a 2 month old post...